Saturday, June 9, 2012

What makes you happy? Adventures of my 10-year old self

Ok, so in response to my buddies in ToT, I'm going to try to remember what I was doing when I was 10 and what made me happy. Here I come, memory lane!

First off, thanks to Danielle for researching what was happening at the time. I remember the NKOTB...I think I liked John too. I can still recite all the lyrics to "Ice, Ice, Baby" by Vanilla Ice, so obviously that was a hit with me. I seem to remember some kind of "Pop goes the Weesle song on the playground too..." I digress.

Hmmm, 1990. I was living sort of in the country at the time...we had about 3 acres of land and horses, goats, rabbits, dogs, cats, maybe even a pig at that time...can't recall exact details. What I do know is that I played Barbies like it was no body's business with Danielle ALL the time-I think Danielle's favorite Barbie was named 'Andi'...I watched the same movies over and over-Beauty and Beast, The Little Mermaid, Aladin. I seem to recall watching Dances with Wolves and rewinding the tape and playing one scene again and again "Put that in your book". Check it out and maybe it will remind you what was so hilarious to a 10-year old girl.

Michelle and I played Indians-we even built a house in the woods behind my house out of branches to play Indians in. We also built some fort in the hay loft out of hay bales, but decided it was too hot up there in the summer time...I recall playing in the horse corral when it was super muddy and trying on purpose to get stuck in the mud.  Little Fella (one of our horses) was a little crazy and would charge us while we were out there and our goal was to get stuck, but then get 'un-stuck' before he actually got to us. Sounds like a great game, right? If my kids were doing that, I would kill them...just goes to show that kids are crazy! I'm digressing again...

Ok, so I played Barbies, watched movies, played Indians, played in the mud-what else? Here's something very strange. I remember pickles, mountain Dew and thin mint girl scout cookies. Does anyone else recall any of these at my house or perhaps the combination of all three at once?

I showed horses in 4H when I was ten-it was my first year of real 4H. I also showed my Grams' dog, Jaime too-we took 4th play in obedience at the State Fair-this was a BIG deal. I used to throw rocks at boys on the playground. I even hit one kid in the head and was sent to the dean's office. She threatened to call my mom and I told her to go ahead. Somehow just that remark made her not do it...weird. I also used to throw rocks at cars, but that was when I was younger...Did I mention I had an attitude when I was ten and thought I was all that?

I remember bouncing a ball back and forth with my friends for EVER in the sidewalk leading to my back door-anyone else recall this? I remember going swimming at Danielle's aunt and uncle's house and getting REALLY sunburnt- to the point that I had blisters and had to wear a t-shirt over it the next few days.

I used to go to my family's farm pretty often too-we would play cards with Nana, Olivia and Mom and whoever else happened to stop by (many people were always stopping by-and still do to Nana's house) while Dad and Pop were outside sitting in the garage, having beers and watching the traffic or they were off 'fixing' something and generally getting way too hot...or I was playing with my cousins and doing something we probably weren't supposed to do. I played with those goats down there a bunch too.

I guess all in all, the things that made me happy follow the same lines as Danielle-it was getting out there and doing things...and then when I was in the house, it was spending time with friends or family and enjoying each other. I did a lot of spontaneous things...I would randomly call my friends and we'd get together or I would take off my bike and meet them...I didn't ever just sit around.

I need to do that more often too. Less sitting and more doing-anyone care to join me?

1 comment:

  1. More doing, less sitting. I like that idea. Also, I do not recall the thin mint girl scout cookies-what I remember is the Moutain Dew, Pickles and Cream horns. Wow-how did we not get sick to our stomachs after eating that? Well, I don't know, but you can put that in your book.

    ReplyDelete